Vengeance for Syria
By Julian Robinson and Peter Allen In Paris for MailOnline and Afp
Published: 06:44 EDT, 23 March 2018 | Updated: 10:49 EDT, 23 March 2018
An ISIS fanatic has been shot dead by police in France after he killed three people in a gun rampage and supermarket hostage siege.
The extremist, armed with a gun, knives and a grenade, hijacked a car, shot its passenger in the head and fired at police officers in Carcassonne, south west France, before driving to a Super U shop in Trebes.
After screaming 'Allahu Akbar, I'll kill you all', the Moroccan Islamist killed a butcher and a shopper while terrified customers either fled from the store or hid in a cold room.
French investigators said the man, named as 26-year-old Redouane Lakdim, was known to intelligence services and had been flagged in a database of radicalised militants. His home was raided today and a neighbour said she had seen Lakdim 'taking one of his younger sisters to school' before he launched his attack.
During his siege, the hostage-taker demanded the release of Salah Abdeslam, 28, the last surviving suspect in the 2015 ISIS attack in Paris that left 130 dead.
But after an hours-long standoff, special police units converged on the scene and stormed the supermarket. French President Emmanuel Macron this afternoon called the rampage a 'terrorist act'.
It has emerged that a French military officer had taken the place of one of the supermarket hostages, entering the danger zone as the drama unfolded. The 45-year- old lieutenant-colonel swapped himself in exchange of one of the hostages, enabling him to negotiate with the terrorist. It is not known whether the soldier was the one who eventually killed the terrorist.
Scroll down for video
Police have stormed a French supermarket and shot dead an ISIS gunman who was holding hostages as it emerged he had already killed someone before beginning his siege. Pictures n social media show police outside the supermarket
The fanatic, armed with a gun, knives and a grenade, had hijacked a car, killing a passenger and injuring the driver, before shooting at police officers in Carcassonne, south west France, and driving to the supermarket in Trebes. Pictures show a car that was damaged during one of the earlier shootings in Carcassone
Shots were heard as the man stormed into a Super U at around 11.15am in the town of Trebes, south west France, screaming 'Allahu Akbar, I'll kill you all and 'vengeance for Syria'. Police are pictured at the scene
The extremist, armed with a gun, knives and a grenade, hijacked a car, shot its passenger in the head and fired at police officers in Carcassonne, south west France, before driving to a Super U shop in Trebes
Former student says superintendent bullied him in school
Body camera footage of police fatally shooting unarmed man
Hilarious moment little girl mispronounces the word 'duck'
'Stop biting my dog!' Bizarre moment suspect appears to bite K-9
Shocking moment mass brawl erupts at Golden Corral restaurant
Stephen Colbert works out with Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Warning Graphic Content: Dogs viciously attack boar in Vietnam
X-rated audio clip is accidentally played during news report
NY Gubernatorial candidate Cynthia Nixon holds first rally
Donald Trump Jr.'s daughter Chloe practices her golf swing
Aubrey O'Day asked about dating Eric, not Don Jr. in 2012
Gunman shoots two students at Great Mills High School
This afternoon, interior minister Gerard Collomb said the terrorist was Redouane Lakdim, 26, who lived with his parents and his four sisters in a flat on a council estate in Carcassonne.
It was raided on Friday early in the afternoon, where a neighbour said she had seen Lakdim 'taking one of his younger sisters to school on Friday morning.'
Lakdim was subject to an S-file, which means the intelligence services considered him a security threat. He spent a short time in prison in 2016.
The gunman had earlier held up a car in the nearby city of Carcassone, killing a passenger and then firing six shots at police officers, all members of the city's CRS 57 unit, while shouting 'vengeance for Syria'. He then drove off towards the supermarket where he held several hostages. The injured officer is not in life-threatening condition.
Police traced the car involved in the shooting in Carcassonne to the hostage-taking in Trebes after it was found in the car park of the supermarket, a security source told AFP.
Eric Menassi, the mayor of Trebes, confirmed that 'a supermarket worker was shot dead' and a CRS officer 'wounded in the shoulder'.
Carole, who was shopping at the supermarket, described how people had taken refuge in a cold room.
'A man shouted and fired several times. I saw a cold room door, I asked people to come and take shelter,' she told Franceinfo radio. 'We were ten, and we stayed an hour. There were more gunshots and we went out the back door.'
A security source, said: 'Most of the Super U staff and customers managed to get away.'
BREAKING: 'ISIS' gunman 'kills one person' after taking hostages at French supermarket Full story: http://dailym.ai/2DONlHW Footage via: Ruptly
Police blocked off roads to Trebes as the hostage situation unfolded in the town this morning. The man was later shot dead by armed officers
Earlier, the man had opened fire with six shots aimed at police officers out jogging in Carcassonne. Experts are pictured examining the scene
The man is said to have fired six shots at police officers, all members of the city's CRS 57 unit, before driving off. The injured officer is not in life-threatening condition. Police are pictured investigating the shooting
Customers and workers fled from the shop in terror but a butcher and a shopper are believed to have been killed and about a dozen more are injured. This was the scene on the outskirts of Trebes this afternoon
The shootings come with France still on high alert after a string of jihadist attacks since 2015, starting in January that year with the assault on satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo that left 12 people dead
The hostage taker called for the release of Salah Abdeslam, the ISIS terrorist who helped murder 130 people in Paris in November 2015.
Abdeslam, a 28-year-old French national of Moroccan descent, is currently in solitary confinement in a high-security prison near Paris, while awaiting trial.
Abdeslam has admitted helping coordinate the 2015 attacks, but failed to let off his suicide bomb vest out the Stade de France, France's national sports stadium, during a football match between France and Germany.
He is the only terrorist survivor of the murderous 2015 ISIS attack in Paris and was Europe's most-wanted fugitive when he was captured in Brussels after four months on the run.
He was extradited from Belgium to France and imprisoned, but has not gone to trial in France.
Prime suspect in the November 2015 Paris attacks Salah Abdeslam (R) sits as he is surrounded by Belgian special police officers in the courtroom prior to the opening of the trial in Brussels, Belgium, 05 February 2018
Abdeslam did, however, appear in court in Brussels last month and said silence would be his defence, as he systematically refused to answer the judge's questions.
Abdeslam and another man, Sofiane Ayari, went on trial facing charges of attempted murder in a terrorist context for a shootout with police on March 15, 2016.
Abdeslam escaped out a window with Ayari while a third Islamic State suspect died. The pair were captured a few days later on March 18.Read More...